The Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site partners with Candlelight Theatre to offer exceptional theatre performances on a stage unlike any other. The newly expanded 2017-2018 season features 19th-century and early 20th-century plays with the 23rd President's historic mansion providing an authentic backdrop. Creative Director Dr. Donna Wing and Resident Playwright James Trofatter make the most of the setting, with a dedicated company of seasoned actors performing a combination of mysteries, comedies and historically-inspired thrilling tales.
In the fall, the stage encompasses most of the mansion, with every scene taking a new twist and turn through historic rooms. Family-friendly holiday performances feature vignettes of seasonal traditions and favorite yuletide characters. Spring productions typically follow a salon theatre format, utilizing three different rooms in the mansion to share intimate one-act plays. Newly added, the summer production will be Candlelight Theatre’s first feature stage production.
NEW IN 2017/2018:
Buy your Season Ticket Package and enjoy Candlelight Theatre's four productions with premium registration and great price savings!
Production information for the
2017-2018 Candlelight Theatre Season:
• The season will begin in October with patron favorite, Victorian Villains, directed by James Trofatter. Guests will experience a progressive theatre performance within the Harrison mansion itself, each room revealing a spooky new scene. It’s perfect for an eerily fun Halloween outing!
• October 13, 14, 20, 21, 22 2017
• Performances begin at 6pm on Fridays and Saturdays, and 2pm on Sunday, with show times every half hour
'Twas the Night Before...
• The company’s newest holiday tradition, ‘Twas the Night Before..., directed by Heather Wing will show in December 2017. This popular performance will include beloved characters from holiday lore and introduce new festive friends. With the mansion frosted in all its holiday finery, it’s a fun way to get in the spirit of the season for the whole family!
• December 15, 16, 17 2017
• Performances begin at 6pm on Friday and Saturday, and 2pm on Sunday, with show times every half hour
Murder in Triplicate
• Murder in Triplicate will be the company’s spring show. Salon-style performances in April 2018 will include a trilogy of one act plays, each performed in a different room of the mansion, complete with candlelight, historical artifacts, and the rich ambiance of President Harrison’s original furnishings.
• April 13, 14, 20, 21, 22, 27, 28 2018
• Performances begin at 8pm on Fridays and Saturdays, and 2pm on Sunday
The Trial of Nancy Clem
• In summer 2018, the Presidential Site and Candlelight Theatre will add a special performance, The Trial of Nancy Clem directed by Sue Beecher, on the Cook Theater stage at Indiana Landmarks. At Candlelight Theatre’s first feature stage performance, patrons will revisit the true crime story of the notorious and nefarious Nancy Clem. Will she be the first woman convicted of murder in Indiana?
• July 20, 21, 27, 29 2018
• Performances begin at 8pm on Fridays and Saturday, and 2pm on Sunday